The Swallow Nests are a paste made baked to prepare a stuffed puff pastry roll, cut into slices and seasoned with besciamella- are quite common in Romagna, prepared on feast days. The stuffing can be prepared in many ways: traditionally are made with ham and mushrooms. Today we also add walnuts. But they are also delicious with spinach or artichokes.
The hardest thing is the preparation of the dough. If we are not experts, we can avoid using the Grandma Duck.
|Media||4-6 people||80 min. + 30 min. rest ||10 30 + min.||€ 10|
|What is needed|
|for the pastry:|
|For the filling:|
|baked ham||gr. 200|
|Champignon mushrooms||gr. 400|
|dry porcini mushrooms||gr. 50|
|ricotta cheese||gr. 250|
|Parmesan cheese||gr. 50|
|for the sauce:|
| nutmeg, salt, |
extra virgin olive oil
Preparation of the dough
- Put the flour, make a well in the center and break eggs into the hole 2.
- Mix the ingredients, mixing eggs and flour until it forms a smooth, elastic dough.
- Cover with a towel and let stand while preparing sauce and stuffing.
Preparing the sauce
- Melt the butter and add the flour, stirring constantly over the fire.
- When the roux is ready to drop the cold milk and stir with wire to a wooden spoon until the sauce has thickened.
- Turn off the heat and add a little 'salt and grated nutmeg.
Preparing the filling
- Soak the dried mushrooms in warm water to soften them.
- Clean the mushrooms removing the earthy parts. Wash them briefly under running water and cut into small pieces.
- Chop the walnuts with the crescent.
- Drain the dried mushrooms, rinse them and grinder is.
- Heat up a pan with some oil, add the dried mushrooms with a bit of filtered water soak.
- Cook a few minutes and add the mushrooms.
- Cook (5-6minuti) - Aggiustaredi salt and pepper and turn off the heat. Transfer the mushrooms in a bowl to cool.
- Once cool, mix the mushrooms with ricotta and grated Parmesan. Also add some spoonful of sauce to soften the filling.
Composition and cooking
- Resume kneading dough and pull a thin sheet from which derive two large squares / rectangles (approximately 40 cm) side.
- Boil the two rectangles (one at a time) in plenty of boiling water, making ATTENTION not to break them. Drain them and pass them into a bowl filled with cold water to stop the cooking finally lay them out to dry on a white towel (NB: it is the same procedure that is adopted every time for lasagna even though these layers are larger).
- Of each rectangle, sprinkle the grated nuts, spread the slices of ham side by side so as to completely cover the dough rectangle.
- Ham spread on a layer of the mixture of ricotta, mushrooms and bechamel sauce, covering completametne ham and leaving slightly exposed edges.
- Roll the pastry quite narrow so as to form two large rolls.
- Wrap each roll in waxed paper and place them in the freezer to consolidate for a half hour.
- Spent half an hour, take the rolls stuffed and cut into rounds of 4-5 cm high.
- Put on the bottom of a pan some butter and a bit of sauce.
- Place the wheels of sfolgia side al'altra, with Harvested cut up (as if they were roses or nests) making sure that they touch each other.
- Cover with the remaining sauce and a generous sprinkling of grated Parmesan cheese.
- Cook over 170 ° 20-25 minutes and anyway until the surface is golden.