roast rabbit: my mom always prepared for Sunday lunch. Practically it was not Sunday unless you were eating cappelletti (or passatelli) or baked pasta and rabbit. To some it may seem strange to eat it, but for us in the Romagna it was, and is, very normal. I roast cooking, but bake it in the pan to keep it softer. Of course you can do it in the oven. The important thing is to cook it slowly, because even if the pieces are not too big, it should be good cook, like all roasts. This dish is dedicated to Carla (my second mother) who cooks the most delicious rabbit I've ever eaten: it could challenge the best restaurants! And for her, that is a sorceress of the oven, the rabbit, after browned fried, must necessarily be baked.
|What is needed|
|rabbit||n. 1 (kg. 1,59|
|rosemary||n. 2 3-branches|
|garlic||2- 3 cloves|
|laurel||4- 5 leaves|
|juniper berries||n. 10|
|White wine||n. 1 glass|
|salt, pepper, extra virgin olive oil||qb|
- Wash the rabbit. Let it soak for a few hours at least.
- At this point, change the water and let it soak in a solution of water and vinegar for another half hour. Put some vinegar in the water helps the rabbit to lose that taste sometimes a bit strong (we call wild) that may have, especially if we bought the rabbit from the farmer.
- cut the rabbit pieces (I have to get 10-12) and wash again thoroughly under running water. NB: of course, instead of the rabbit full, we may have bought the rabbit into pieces. This, indeed, can help, if we are not expert in the cut. Also in this case we repeat the same procedure of soaking and washing.
- Once washed, put in a colander to drain for a few minutes.
- Transfer to a pan containing it in a single layer and put it on the fire without seasoning. Allow it to warm up for a minute. The rabbit must not be colored or brown, but emit only water that contains excess. This transaction helps rid the rabbit any aromas too bright meat.
- Wash all the herbs and peel the garlic cloves.
- Chop rosemary, sage, thyme and garlic.
- transfer the rabbit in a bowl and sprinkle generously with the prepared mince (abound with the aromas).
- Add salt and pepper and drizzle with olive oil and very well a spruzzata of lemon juice.
- Add the bay leaves and slightly crushed juniper berries.
- resume rabbit after he rested (The minimum time is: prepare the evening to cook it the next morning, or prepare it in the morning to cook in the evening, but if you have time you can let it rest even more: eg. prepare it the night before to the one in which it will cook ).
- Transfer in a wide pan thick-bottomed, which can contain it comfortably in a single layer (the meat should have room to be turned) with all the spices and seasoning.
- Put it on the stove over high heat and brown on all sides.
- Deglaze with a glass of white wine (or if you prefer a glass of beer) and once evaporated reduce heat and continue cooking for at least 90 minutes, keeping the soft bottom with the addition of hot water. Turn occasionally basting with a little lemon juice.
- Be careful not to dry out the meat.
- Alternatively, after browning, put in the oven at 160-170 ° and bake for the same time, turning and wetting the roast rabbit as indicated in the recipe.
- Servireil roast rabbit to the pan hot. It 'very good with a side of baked potatoes.